[mythtv-users] Minimum hardware recomendation

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 21:51:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Allen Edwards<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, Jim.
>
> You make good points.  Apparently the 230 is fanless and the 330
> requires a fan so going with the flow here says use the 230 version.
> Correct me if I am wrong.

I'm not sure that the 330 version actually *requires* a fan, even
though it ships with one.  Maybe someone with one can weigh in.  With
my 230, I would take an occasional temperature reading using
"nvidia-settings -q gpucoretemp" and see how close it gets to the 95C
slowdown threshold.  With the lid off of my cardboard box, it idled at
about 64C and got into the 70s under load (playing a max bitrate
HD-PVR recording at 2x timestretch).  With the lid on, it idled in the
80s and hit the low 90s under load.  So I added vents in the lid until
it now idles at 72C.  I can't really guess how much of the heat is due
to the CPU and how much is due to the GPU, but it's certainly
plausible that a second core could push the temperature uncomfortably
high.

By the way, my decorative box has a food them, with phrases like "buon
appetito" written on it.  Someone suggested putting a chocolate fondue
pot on top of the heatsink.  Endless possibilities!

Jim