[mythtv-users] Watching web streams?

Jim Morton Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com
Mon Jun 22 20:53:37 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday 22 June 2009 14:03:51 Jim Morton wrote:
>
>> How can I watch shows that www.TNT.tv broadcasts on the Web? I used to
>> do it on my Windows pc attached to the tv but I converted that to a
>> Mythbuntu box (and I love it). Now if I exit the f/e and start Firefox
>> then goto TNT and try to watch something it just says there was an error
>> streaming. The commercials play just fine but when it gets to the show
>> it pops up the error. I suspect it is a DRM issue and since I'm not on
>> Windows anymore it doesn't work. Assuming I'm right is there a DRM
>> package I can install (or is that a Windows exclusive?)  that will
>> satisfy TNT? Or should I dual boot? Any other suggestions?
>>

> Is this a 64-bit machine? I think there are still some issues with flash and
> 64-bits under Linux, and if they are using flash this might be part of your
> problem.
>
> Though the fact that the commercials work would tend to argue against that
> idea.
>
> If it's a DRM issue there is probably no Linux way around that.
>
> If you have a spare Windows machine (or can run one as a Virtual Machine) you
> might try something like Tversity to serve up the content you want.

Yes it is 64bit. I've just been looking at Virtualbox but I have zero
experience with VM. I wonder if I could run WinXP-32bit in a VM on
Ubuntu-64bit...
My other Windows machines aren't beefy enough to render a watchable
show. We're talking 1Ghz, single core era, and with the $$ I just put
into the Myth box it is going to be a while before I can upgrade them.
Thanks!

--
Jim Morton