[mythtv-users] Ubuntu upgrade from 8.10 -> 9.04?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 14:45:10 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/6/23 Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com>:
> I updated my mythbuntu system to 9.04 a few weeks ago. I had a whole
> afternoon carved out ready to deal with any unforeseen issues that can
> arise when you update. However, it went smoother than any upgrade I
> have ever done and it was fast too. Everything was done and I was

When upgrading to 9.04, there were a few issues I've encountered that
took me a while to figure out.

When using Mythtv, the menu bar was always visible at the top.
Answer : disable compiz, or enable the compatibility settings

When changing resolution with xrandr, the mouse cursor becomes visible.
No idea why, so instead when I start mythtv, I move the cursor in the
bottom right corner with
/usr/bin/xwit -root -warp 1920 1080

1920 1080 indicated where to position the mouse. A while pixels ,
which is the tip of the cursor always stays visible unfortunately.

If you had to do any specific patches for 8.10, like getting LIRC and
the LCD to work, it's likely you will have to go through the hassle of
doing it again...

On my board (gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P), it would always load the kernel
model r8169 for the network card which didn't work for me, I had to
add in modprobe.conf ignore r8169
so r8168 would get loaded instead.

This is a fix that isn't required with the latest kernel upgrade
2.6.28-13, after I rebooted and found myself without network access, I
realised that ubuntu removed completely the r8168 kernel module, but
now r8169 works fine for this network adapter.

While the upgrade from 8.10 to 9.04 is very smooth, there are always
tiny changes that are annoying and takes time to diagnose.

Jean-Yves