[mythtv-users] HD-PVR video jittery only on HD channels

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Sun Jun 21 14:07:22 UTC 2009

I wrote earlier:
> > HD recordings on a HDPVR can be up to of 13.5mbps, but the real
> > kicker is that they are single sliced.
>
> I thought a firmware upgrade last year changed this, so that the
> device now produces streams with multiple slices?

Upon looking over the list archives I see that I misremembered the
facts. What was added last year was support for variable-bitrate
recordings (which helps to ease the playback burden), and I think this
was done on the MythTV side, not on the firmware side (Or was it both?)

In any case, VDPAU has of course completely and utterly made all
HD-PVR playback concerns obsolete. John Nissley, the original poster,
is running trunk so he has access to VDPAU support, and if needed a
VDPAU card costs $30.
Sorry about that.  Guess I should have checked the obvious first.  I have an AMD 5600+ which I thought would be enough CPU to handle the playback burden but I guess it is not.When I check TOP during playback I see that one of the CPU's is at 100%.  I guess it is time to see if VPDAU works on my NVIDIA 8200 motherboard.Thanks again for pointing out the error of my ways.