[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 32-bit to 64-bit and maybe a distroswitch?

John Haywood john at jhit.com.au
Sun Jun 21 07:06:49 UTC 2009

On 20/06/2009, at 7:11 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:

> On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:08 PM, belcampo wrote:
>
>> Jarod Wilson wrote:

>> Are there any facts/tests which show the benefits of going 64-bit,
>> aside from the theoretical advantages ?
>

> Being able to address more than 4GB of memory directly and having a
> sane number of cpu registers to work with (x86-specific, mostly
> irrelevant in ppc land, ppc32 isn't register-starved like ix86) are
> certainly more than just theoretical advantages. Granted, a lot of
> desktop users don't need more than 4GB and its taken some time for
> applications to be updated to take advantage of the increased
> register space, but it *is* happening. Anything that relies heavily
> on vectorized code (such as multimedia encoding/decoding) and
> anything that involves a lot of encryption work (VPN, WEP/WPA, disk
> encryption) benefits from the increased register space (assuming
> software is updated for it, that is -- which is the case for a good
> amount of open-source software).

OK, Jarod's point is well taken -why distro-hop?

All the reasons I went with Mythdora in the first place are still
there - out-of-the-box support for my hardware (Fusion HDTV - not the
MCE edition), even the wireless card is detected, I just can't get it
to join my WPA2 network, plus a sensible fs layout - I'm not a fan of
long-term storage under /var myself - and a decent mythtv user etc
etc ...

So, onto the next questions:

I currently have a PATA-based system, my new one is going to be SATA -
so I need to move everything across.
The mythtv-wiki gives instructions on how to move the database across,
and I can just copy the /storage across to a new drive, but is there
any way to get all my settings, channel ids, shepherd configs (I'm in
Australia) and the like across?

Cheers

John in Sydney