[mythtv-users] HD-PVR video jittery only on HD channels

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sat Jun 20 18:15:38 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 09:49:23AM -0500, John Nissley wrote:
> I am running mythtv 0.22-209_Trunk_r20696 which I get from the bleeding repo from ATRPMS.  I do not have any problems with the distro except for when I try to record HD programming with the HD-PVR.  When I record an HD channel the video gets choppy (Pauses a lot).  I wondered if this was just my hardware so I moved the created mpeg from my backend to my windows box and tried to play the video with VLC and had the same problem with jittery video.  My CPU is not maxed out on my windows machine.

   I have seen HD h264 captures max out the CPU and stutter on lesser CPUs.

   Unless you are running VDPAU you are likely to get stuttering on a CPU
that's slower than 2.5Ghz or so. I can run some 720p captures on my 1.8ghz
mini while others are prone to stuttering. My 2.83ghz desktop machine has
no problems playing back stuff that chokes the mini.

   I haven't tested 1080i or 1080p.