[mythtv-users] channels missing in the SF bay area

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 17:49:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Marco
Nelissen<marco.nelissen at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so a simple rescan fixed this. I had assumed that the
> schedulesdirect info would also specify what frequencies the various
> channels are on, and that mythtv would pick that up, but apparently
> not.
>

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Marco Nelissen<marco.nelissen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've been using MythTV for OTA ATSC recording for a while now.
>> My wife pointed out today that Entertainment Tonight hadn't recorded
>> in a while. It seems to have started with the DTV transition: I have a
>> recording on June 11, but all subsequent ones are 'empty'. When I try
>> to tune the channel (KRON), I get no lock. Several other channels
>> (KTVU/FOX and KGO/ABC) are gone too. Other channels like NBC and KQED
>> are still there though.
>>
>> Did the missing channels go off the air, did they move, did
>> SchedulesDirect mess up?
>> More importantly, how do I get them back?

I believe schedules direct uses the ATSC channel numbers (the virtual
channels like 4.1 etc).  When mythfilldatabase is run, it assigns the
xmltvid to the channel table where needed, which it gets from
schedules direct (based on the virtual channel number and the market
you're in).  Nothing in schedules direct knows anything about actual
frequencies of ATSC channels.

ATSC frequencies changed in most markets as of the transition, and
it's pretty widely advertised that all digital TV tuner devices (not
just MythTV) would need to be rescanned at that time.

Tom