[mythtv-users] Disk-drive hiccups

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Fri Jun 19 21:34:35 UTC 2009

On 18 Jun 2009 at 22:19, Bob Sully wrote:

> >> I'm wondering if it's a problem with JFS...?
> >> don't want to go to ext3 because it takes a week (not literally, but it
> >> seems like it) to fsck a big ext3 partition.  Would anyone recommend
> >> that
> >> I change over to XFS?

Bob,

Since you asked...  I've been running XFS on every Linux box I've touched
for the last few years with never a single hiccup, even when stacking RAID or
LVS, it's always been flawless for me. Others have not been so lucky, but
that could be said for any filesystem.

My current backend runs 6 750GB drives, configured as 3 RAID0 arrays of 2
drives each. No hiccups, and my logs are clean.

In the past I've run XFS on LVS or RAID arrays with dozens of mixed SATA,
SCSI, and IDE drives of various sizes and manufacturers with all kinds of
weird partitioning schemes to squeeze out the last few MB of storage space
back before "storage groups" went mainstream, and didn't have any
problems even then.

Marvin