[mythtv-users] mythbackend sometimes goes to 100%

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 19 14:49:27 UTC 2009

On 06/19/2009 10:25 AM, Adam Felson wrote:
> About 18-24 months ago, mythweb's recorded programs page would cause
> mythbackend to go to 100%.
>
> This has mostly been fixed, but I still occasionally find mythbackend at 100%
> and have to kill it.  It's mostly just an annoyance, but it does cook the
> cpu.
>
> I'm using the release-0-21-fixes branch of svn.
>
> Has this been fixed in 22 development?

There was never any change to either 0.21-fixes (including all of the
pre-0.21 development, where the issue was noticed) or trunk (since 0.21
was released) that was known to have fixed the issue.  It just appeared,
and a lot of people started looking at it, then it disappeared.  (And,
as you can imagine, fixing a bug that you can't find is /very/
difficult, so there hasn't really been any progress since it disappeared.)

The issue has been reported by some people since then (generally as an
uncommon/unreproducible occurrence), but no one has been able to track
it down, let alone fix it.  Therefore, I'd recommend sticking with
0.21-fixes rather than upgrading.

There's also a possibility that the HD-PVR may lead to a real fix for it
(as preview generation for HD-PVR recordings tends to cause similar
symptoms).  The HD-PVR issue is likely to be fixed before 0.22 is
released, and if it's related, may also fix the preview-generation issue
you see.

Mike