[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jun 19 13:51:38 UTC 2009

Andrew Burgess wrote:
> On 06/15/2009 03:01:09 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>

>> I didn't find any standard PCI cards that were more than 4 drives.
>>

> You can sometimes get 3ware PCI cards on ebay that handle 8 or 12
> disks.

Aside from their very low end 2-4 drive PATA cards, 3ware has always
made PCIX/PCIe cards.  I used to have an old Promise 6-port (12-drive)
PATA card that had a 66MHz PCI slot, but I've never seen a PCI card with
more than 4 SATA ports.  When four SATA drives can readily exceed the
bandwidth of the PCI bus, there's little point in making them larger.