[mythtv-users] Disk-drive hiccups

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Jun 19 05:38:28 UTC 2009

Raymond Wagner wrote:
> Bob Sully wrote:
>> Hi all -
>>
>> Over the past several weeks, I have been having occasional instances of
>> partitions becoming inaccessible suddenly.  This has only happened with
>> the two partitions I use for Myth recordings and for video files.  Both
>> of
>> these are large JFS filesystems, have been for over a year with no prior
>> problems.

> I've been using JFS for several years now, and the only time it has ever
> given me a fault is when I have a machine crash, and then crash again on
> boot.  It trashes whatever it was writing to the second time, invariably
> /var/lib/init.d, which then hoses subsequent attempts at booting.  The
> only way to fix it is to forcefully fsck from single user mode.

Hmmmm....I've never had that happen; the few times (before this current
issue) that this box has crashed or had to be rebooted remotely, I've not
had any problems with JFS filesystems not coming back up cleanly on
reboot.

>> I did notice that when this happened yesterday, the involved drive
>> designator changed over from /dev/sdb to /dev/sdd....!  Curiouser,
>> curiouser!  I've not seen that happen before.

> That further seems to indicate it has nothing to do with your
> filesystem, but something lower level.

Yeah, I'm beginning to believe that, especially given the strange kernel
log entries I saw tonight (see previous message).  Maybe the stock Jaunty
kernel driver is buggy.  But this is NOT a bleeding-edge chipset, previous
kernels worked fine with it (Asus P5K Deluxe motherboard, Intel chipset;
appears to be using the generic ahci driver); one would think the Kernel
Gods would leave well enough alone.

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801IR/IO/IH (ICH9R/DO/DH) 6
port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 01)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8277
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 2299
	I/O ports at 9c00 [size=8]
	I/O ports at 9880 [size=4]
	I/O ports at 9800 [size=8]
	I/O ports at 9480 [size=4]
	I/O ports at 9400 [size=32]
	Memory at f5ffe800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
	Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit- Queue=0/4
Enable+
	Capabilities: [a8] SATA HBA <?>
	Capabilities: [b0] Vendor Specific Information <?>
	Kernel driver in use: ahci

This is driving me nucking futs.  I guess we'll have to see if the next
kernel solves it.

Thanks
Bob