[mythtv-users] VDPAU What Are Differences Btwn GeForce 8200/8300/9300/9400 integrated?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 23:09:42 UTC 2009

> ISTR reading somewhere that the first figure (8/9) is the overall series and
> generally the higher number means a higher operating chip speed.
> The second number describes the capability grouping and higher numbers mean
> more shaders or pipelines or whatever they are..
>
> I suspect that the second number makes more of a difference for mythtv users
> than the higher frequency of the first number. This is from comments made on
> this list. People with a x500 series card seem (overall) to be happier about
> the result, and report fewer problems such as stuttering etc. I have a 9500
> in my mythbox and it displays fewer problems than the 9300 card in the
> desktop at work.

This is basically correct except the family (8xxxx, 9xxx) refer to
different hardware revisions (ie redesigned GPU family), not
necessarily higher clock frequencies. Rather than going 10xxx they
have reset and the newer family of chips are all GTX 2xx. Then the
next numbers (and often suffixes GS, GT, etc) will give you an
indication of relative performance within that family. So in general a
x400 will be more powerful than an x300 or x200 chip (and I think GTX
> GT > GS for the suffixes). However, making comparisons across
different family of chips is difficult without actual tests. So it
would be difficult to say if a 9300 is better than an 8400 for
example. The overall performance depends on the overall architecture,
the clock frequency, the memory, number of shaders, etc., so there
isn't really a single number to look at on a spec sheet that will tell
you which card will perform better.