[mythtv-users] VDPAU What Are Differences Btwn GeForce 8200/8300/9300/9400 integrated?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 14:46:17 UTC 2009

>> Does anyone know what the differences are between the GeForce
>> 8200/8300/9300/9400 when they are integrated onto a motherboard?
>>
>> I want to use VDPAU but am a bit perplexed on whether the 8xxx series
>> is fundamentally better than the 9xxxx?

There is a good article from anandtech comparing these chipsets
(http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3432&p=1). They have
numbers on blu-ray and h.264 playback, and general info on the
architectural differences. The 9xxx are a newer chip, but the 8300 and
9300 seem to have similar performance for 2D decoding stuff, with the
8200 and 9400 being slightly worse and slightly better respectively.
Unfortunately they don't compare them using VDPAU, but I would imagine
it would track with the media playback stats they have. I think they
are all capable of decoding HD, but the difference will come in which
deinterlacers they are capable of doing. I don't think any of them can
do Advanced 2x on 1080i material, but I think I recall some saying
that the 9400 could do Temporal 2x. but you would want to confirm that
by searching the archives or hearing from someone using it.