[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 and MythTV

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Thu Jun 18 02:16:42 UTC 2009

Peter Cross wrote:
> Team,
> Sent an email a few days ago and didn't get a bite back so I'm resending and
> hopefully will be more clear.
>
> I have a HVR-1600 dual NTSC and ATSC tuner card model Hauppauge model 74551
> LF rev C1A3 on Fedora 9.
>
> LSPCI | grep cx18 returns the following:
>
> 02:0b.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant Systems, Inc. CX23418
> Single-Chip MPEG-2 Encoder with Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio
> Decoder
>
> Under setup in MythTV the card does not show. I have following the
> instructions from Dale Pontius via the following link:

Actually, those weren't my instructions, but the poster after me.  I got
my HVR1600s running basically from the instructions on the various
wikis. I had some other problems that Andy Walls helped me out with,
that turned out to be solved by replugging.

There seems to be a newer vintage of HVR1600, and that's what you've
got.  But I've heard that people do have it running.

Now for some thoughts...

Does "lsmod" show that the cx18 driver has been loaded?
If not, can you load it manually with modprobe?
After it's either automatically or manually loaded, what does dmesg say
about it?

Make sure you can get the driver loaded properly.
Make sure you can "cat /dev/video0 >/tmp/xxx.mpg".
--- Ctl-C out after a second or so, do it twice.
Make sure you can watch the /tmp/xxx.mpg file with mplayer or some other
video player.
THEN try getting it running in MythTV.  Get base function first, though.

If you can't get basic function out of the card, head over to the
video4linux mailing list.

Incidentally, I still have autorecognition problems with my cards under
MythTV.  I just push the right stuff in by hand, and it works.

Dale