[mythtv-users] Turn cable box off after recording

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 16:48:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM, Preston
Crow<pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 12:35 -0400, George Galt wrote:
>> What do you use to detect the current power state of the box over firewire?
>> I've been (half-heartedly) trying to do this for a while with no luck.  The
>> trunk version of 6200ch can toggle power, but ASAIK won't return the power
>> state (I don't believe this capability is in 0.21 stable).  Is there
>> something else I'm missing that does this?
>
> If you look in the Myth code, you'll see that it can natively check the
> power state, turn the box on if needed, and change channels, so most
> people don't need to use 6200ch anymore.  Using the code from there, I
> modified 6200ch to add an option to query the current power state.
>
> Now all I want is an option to query the current channel, but I haven't
> found a command to do that, and I haven't found good documentation on
> how these boxes work.

Thanks.  I'll take a look.  I'm assuming the code is in the firewire
tuner section?  If not, could you give me a hint on the location?

As for not using 6200ch, I'm capturing from the cable box via s-video
to a PVR-150 for SD recordings (no need to capture HD for non-HD
recordings), so I still need an external channel changing program.  I
probably could just capture via firewire, but I got burned by this a
few years back (in the early days of firewire capture, so I'm sure its
better now) and the WAF factor went down.  Great WAF with
cable->s-vid->PVR-150.