[mythtv-users] Those tasty Zotac boards

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:58:57 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:

> Matthew Keefe wrote:
>

>>> I'm pretty certain the tallest point on the board is not actually the
>>> heatsink, but the 3-port analog audio header on the back of it.
>>> Those are usually right around 1.75 - 1.85 inches, so, I don't see any
>>> way you could get it into anything less than that in height.
>>>

>> Hmm, that's a bummer.  I'll give them a call and see what they say.  If I
>> find out anything interesting I'll let you guys know.  Perhaps other itx
>> boards have a lower profile though I doubt that's the case.
>>
>> Well, it's something to mull over.  Thanks for the pointers fellas
>>
>>  It won't do, since the mini-ITX spec allows for a standard back ATX panel
> which will be a standard height: around 1.75 inches. The board and
> components behind are usually lower, but the panel is your show-stopper.
>
> While idly investigating such boards I have seen others which don't have
> the back panel, instead having headers for all services, presumably for
> vehicle/automation use. You might do better with one of those if low height
> is your thing.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

I'll verify this on the dual-core Zotac I have (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500027). The back
panel (when installed) is _slightly_ taller than the heatsink. However, if
you install the optional fan on the heatsink (recommended for dual-cores),
the heatsink/fan combo is taller than the back panel. (almost exactly 2")

The analog header (1 9/16") is _not_ taller than the heatsink on this model.
So, if you're one of those wild and crazy guys that doesn't use the back
panel, the heatsink is the tallest part of this board. (1 5/8")

All those measurements are with the motherboard sitting on the nice little
antistatic mat it shipped on.  So, once you install it on posts in your
case, you'll have to add about what... 1/8"?

HTH
--Phill W