[mythtv-users] Another take on large-capacity disk enclosures

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Tue Jun 16 17:47:05 UTC 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:43:56 -0600, Brian Wood wrote
> On Tuesday 16 June 2009 10:31:54 Raymond Wagner wrote:
> > Alex Butcher wrote:
> > > LSI MegaRaid SATA 300-8X
> > > <http://www.lsi.com/storage_home/products_home/internal_raid/megaraid_sat
> > >a/megaraid_sata_3008x/>
> > >

> > > More expensive, but can have battery-backed RAM and uses an i960 to
> > > provide
> > > hardware RAID IIRC.
> >
> > The problem is they're not looking for hardware RAID at all, in addition
> > to the $400 price froogle comes up with.  Better option might be this
> > one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118100
> > It's fairly 'dumb' as far as hardware RAID goes, and about twice the
> > price of the Supermicro controller, but it's cheaper and will probably
> > give better performance than low end Promise and HighPoint cards.  It's
> > also multilane, so you need breakout cables or a compatible backplane.
>
> Looks like a nice unit. It's more expensive than the SuperMicro card because
> it's a PCI-Express SAS controller the S/M is a PCI-X SATA controller, apples
> and oranges.
>
> But it's the best PCI-Express card I've seen, thanks for the pointer.

as a point of note, areca sas controllers really hate consumer grade
seagate drives. Its a known issues with the sas chip and seagate drive
bios. WD seems to be fine as does enterprise grade seagates.
Other brand's sas controllers I dont know about but its something
to think about depending on your drive choices.

"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
--
Steve Heistand
steve at heistand.org