[mythtv-users] The state of trunk, vdpau, hd-pvr, etc

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Jun 15 19:31:54 UTC 2009

John P Poet <jppoet at gmail.com> says:
> I have been running H264Parser-fixes-v1.1.patch from
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6243 for several months.  It works
> well, and is a more "proper" implementation than what is currently
> committed to trunk.

Speaking of which, I am using your patch on -fixes (as backported by
Jean-Yves Avenard) and am happy to report that I can play[1] h.264 DVD
rips-to-mkv produced by HandBrake.[2]

I'd been worried about what
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/342836#342836>
and
<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/337729#337729>
reported, as well as some old experiences with mkv files, but
everything--forward/backward skips, jumps to random times--works
well. With Avenard's VDPAU backport total CPU usage is about 7-9%,[3]
which is noticeably better than the 11-15% for the MPEG-4 rips-to-avi
I've created for many years.

[1] To be accurate, I don't know whether it's #6243 or Mark Kendall's
patches which Avenard's incorporated into his VDPAU backport that's
making the difference, but I am happy to spread credit around as
widely as possible.

[2] I am using 0.9.3 which supports more than two audio tracks per
rip, which is great for movies with (say) an English track, a French
track, and two commentary tracks. A nice improvement over 0.9.1, which
only supports two.

[3] At such low levels, other factors become more apparent. I use the
#5900 upmixer, for example--which kicks in despite my using 'AC3
passthru' when ripping these DVDs, I suppose because the tracks aren't
5.1--and turning it off via the OSD drops usage to 1-2%.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array