[mythtv-users] hdhomerun scan produces pound signs

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jun 14 13:22:36 UTC 2009

On 06/14/2009 04:14 AM, ojw wrote:
>>> With the new DTV transition, I figured I needed to rescan for
>>> current digital channels using one of my HDHomeRuns.  What happens
>>> now is that all the channels come out with pound sign separators,
>>> ie. 7#1, 13#2.  I saw a message way back from 2008 on this list
>>> saying I should increase my tuning timeout, which I did (from 3 to
>>> 6 seconds) but that didn't seem to help.
>> The choice of seperator is user selectable via drop down box on the
>> scan page. You must have changed it by accident.
> I thought about that but as it turns out the pound sign is not one of
> the available separators.  There's underscore, dash, period and zero
> but no pound sign.  Also, after the scan, there's no channels on 2, 4
> or 5 along with a bunch of others.  On those channels, the signal
> strength is great but the scanner says "no tables".  Any other ideas?

Pound sign means, "I know you chose something else for a separator, but
there was no channel number specified by the signal, so I'll use a pound
sound to indicate that you need to look at the channel and verify it's
number--and then edit it to put in the separator of choice."  I.e.
you're getting garbage, so you need to fix it (likely increase timeouts,
though it's possible your local broadcasters are just sending garbage).

For example, my local NBC affiliate is channel 2.1, but broadcasts on
frequency ID 11.  Therefore, if the signal contains the channel number
and I chose a period for a separator, I'd get channel 2.1.  If it
doesn't contain a channel number, I'd get 11#1--thus the reason Myth
flags it.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/309882#309882

Mike