[mythtv-users] Turn cable box off after recording

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Sat Jun 13 21:18:34 UTC 2009

I know that this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find an
answer in the archives.  I want to turn the cable box off after I'm done
recording (so that the front panel display will let me know if it's in
use).  I know this isn't going to save power.  I can detect the current
power state over firewire, so I can reliably turn it back on when it's
time to record.

What I don't know how to do is to turn off the cable box when Myth is no
longer using the input group for the cable box (I may have an analog
capture back-to-back with a firewire capture).

One of the motivations is that we sometimes watch live TV though the
cable box bypassing Myth (mostly for sports).  We need to have a way of
knowing if we're going to mess up recodings, and having Myth turn off
the cable box when it's not using it seems like the simplest method.