[mythtv-users] DTV Transition

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:03:18 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Michael T. Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> I know /exactly/ how I'm doing my rescan...  Backup DB (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore ) /and/ backup
> xmltvid's (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Backup_xmltvid_data_.28before_doing_a_full_channel_scan.29
> ), delete all video sources (
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 ), create
> video source, connect input to most-preferred card, do a full channel scan,
> connect inputs to other cards in the order of preferred usage, restore
> xmltvids (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Restore_xmltvids_after_a_channel_scan
> ).  Then, after 10 minutes of effort (5-7 of which are waiting for the
> channel scan to complete and 1 of which is waiting for the database backup
> (50-seconds of which is waiting for the CPU to gzip it)), I'll be back up
> and running as if nothing changed.
>
> I also know that this approach works great--I've done it 10's of times and
> it has worked every single time.
>
> Mike

The part I'm a little unclear on is, in my case, I also have to move
my antenna to scan a second market.  I watch almost entirely NY
channels but also get Philly stations.  There are no frequency
conflicts between the two.  I believe that all I did when I originally
setup was to just do a second full scan facing towards Philly, just
making sure that the existing channel treatment isn't set to do
deletes.

Tom