[mythtv-users] Zotac ION / no video using DVI/HDMI and nvidia driver

Paul Gallaway pgallaway at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 15:01:54 UTC 2009

> I then took the troublesome Zotac IONITX and connected it to the BenQ
> - and it works fine!  So - for now I've just swapped them around. It
> doesn't completely solve my issue - since I wanted audio over HDMI -
> and my 8400GS has a DVI output, but not a HDMI.

Nick, there was a discussion a while ago about some DVI cards sending
audio out the DVI port. You of course need to convert that back to an
HDMI input to make use of the audio (e.g. a DVI input would ignore
that part of the signal, HDMI input could decode it). Of course, no
guarantee that your card can do it either.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/373669?search_string=dvi%20audio;#373669

Just googled "8400gs hdmi audio dvi" and got some positive results so
you may be in luck. You'll need two pass-through pins on the card but
there's definitely information out there for doing it.

> So - it appears there is something peculiar about my TV, and the ION.
> I've tried various drivers from the 180.x and the 185.x family - but
> maybe need to try a pre-180 driver to see if the behaviour is there as
> well (but then I wouldn't get VDPAU - which would defeat the purpose
> of the board, but at least narrow down the problem).

Weird but not unheard of. Good luck explaining the problem to your S.O. ;)