[mythtv-users] Setting EDID for a TV

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 14:05:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 7:00 AM, Steve V<olivuts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My Mythbox is connected to my Philips TV. About half of the times I start the Mythbox the display is good the other half the display is a big mess. I always start the TV first and set it to the correct HDMI input.
>
> I understand that to get it more consistent tand to also not worry so much about the order of starting things i need to set the EDID in my Xorg.conf to match my TV.
>
> To get the correct setting do i just read them from Xorg.0.log?
>
> The only refernce I see in Xorg.0.log to EDID is the following, it is very confusing as the TV is not a full HD TV - the spec lists it as 1024 x 768 pixels. TV model number is 42PF7320G.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
<snip>

When the display is "a big mess" have you checked Xorg.0.log to see if
it gives a clue as to why? (like it's not properly loading the EDID
from the tv).

One thing I did was to save the EDID.bin file to the PC and have the
nvidia driver load that EDID instead of trying to obtain it from the
TV. This solved my issue of the TV and/or receiver not being on and
the PC not receiving the EDID from the TV which would cause a similar
"big mess" of a display issue I had.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff