[mythtv-users] Gmane? or list-splitting

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 10 21:16:29 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009 15:07:44 Stephen Bridges wrote:
> On Sunday 07 June 2009 13:09:13 Richard Freeman wrote:
> > Craig Treleaven wrote:
> > >
> > > Why?
> >
> > Well, the fact that there are over 61 unread posts to this list just
> > since I wrote that email might be part of the problem.  :)  I tend to
> > like to just browse the list and then read more of interesting-looking
> > threads.
>
> Would another alternative be to split mythtv-users up a bit?  The
> discussion of potential hardware and the hardware requirements for
> different tasks could be spun off, and would narrow down archive searches
> for people new to the lists.  I certainly don't read any of the very long
> threads about them, but I will want to at some point.
>
> I'm almost tempted to suggest VDPAU go into its own list as well, as
> certainly most of the traffic on here is about it :)

I'd think that any MUA that will thread messages would solve your problem,
just ignore the threads you aren't interested in, or even delete the entire
thread with a single click.

This would allow the individual user to decide how to split up the list,
because no matter how it might be done, many people would not like it.

If users were to be sure to include "VDPUA" in the subject line it would be
easy to create a rule that would segregate such messages.

One of the biggest problems with mailing lists is poor choice of subject
lines. Something like "Need Help" (a random non-existent example) is pretty
useless. Rememeber the list  is archived, and we want to help people find
what they need in the archives.

--
beww
beww at beww.org