[mythtv-users] Myth experiences with Zotac ION + ATOM mobo

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Wed Jun 10 16:31:51 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 09:26 -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM, Robert Johnston<anaerin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Out of interest, why not use a CF card and a CF-IDE (Or CF-SATA)
> > adaptor? It's not like they're expensive. And with tiny power
> > consumption, flash speeds for ultra-fast booting (Especially with the
> > newer high-speed cards), sizes up to 32GB for storing your linux
> > system, and no noise, there's little in the way of downsides.
>
> Assuming you're not using a microdrive, is there any benefit of using
> CF and an IDE/SATA adapter over a USB stick?  Also assuming one's
> system is capable of booting from a USB drive.

DMA

USB is not optimized for block transfer, so it uses a lot more CPU
overhead to transfer data than something like IDE, SATA, or FireWire.

Personally, I'm interested in a PCI-e card loaded with flash that speaks
SATA or something similar (so it shows up to the OS as a normal drive,
using disk protocols, but really just sits directly on PCI-e).  (And
64GB for under $100, please.  Maybe next year.)