[mythtv-users] backend still recording live tv after frontend shutdown

carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi carl-magnus.bjorkell at pp.inet.fi
Wed Jun 10 13:02:31 UTC 2009

gravityhammer at gmail.com wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Gerald Brandt<gbr at majentis.com> wrote:
>> The myth protocol could add a heartbeat.  Once a minute, the frontend
(while
>> watching live TV) sends a 'ping' to the backend.  If the backend doesn't
get
>> 2 pings in a row, it assumes the frontend is gone, and stops live tv.  I
>> don't know enough about the protocol, but something like this should be
>> possible.
>>
>> Gerald
>>
>> ----- "Jean-Yves Avenard" <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> What an unkind comment.
>>>
>>> Especially as I've seen it happening even if you do quit the frontend.
>>>
>>> In any case; you can't expect non-technical people watching TV, that
>>> this isn't a TV where you can just turn it off and walk away...
>
>Please don't top-post.
>
>I don't think the original poster has a problem with the backend
>continuing to record after the frontend shuts down.  It appears to be
>a problem with his wife not exiting Watch TV.
>
>IIRC, if the tuner watching LiveTV is needed, Myth by default will
>take it (after popping a message up on-screen.
>In addition, Myth will auto-expire the LiveTV recorded shows first,
>unless you've changed the settings from default.

I can confirm that you do indeed remember correctly.

I had this problem with my better half as well a while back. My solution was
to program my remote (Harmony One) in such a way that it jumps to the "Main
menu" jump point before it turns the TV off. Something like that should be
possible to do with lirc as well (given that you actually use a remote to turn
the tv off), but I haven't tried this since it was easier to just have the
remote handle it.

-Calle