[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 13:22:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:15 AM, Adam Skinner<kingmoffa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Upgrading to the new nvidia drivers didn't really solve anything.
>
> My problem is mostly when moving around the menus and when more disc
> activity is happening.
>
> Looking at:
>
> http://www.lirc.org/html/technical.html#bugs
>
> Im wondering if its an interrupt issue.
>
> I have a pair of SATA drives in the box - using hdparm -u1 /dev/sdX
> results in the following error msg:
>
> HDIO_GET_UNMASKINTR failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Anoyone know how to unmask (or get the status of) an interrupt for a
> SATA drive?

I'm fairly certain that's not related.  I had this issue in a big
way...with several minute pauses occasionally.  In my case the big
factor was the video probing corrected by Josh's patch.  I have a
serial receiver as well.

I can say almost for sure that it's _not_ related to lirc, as in my
case and every other I've heard, the keyboard was blocked as well.
About everyone seems to have noticed it specifically after upgrading
to xorg 1.5...I've always suspected that that's related.

As far as the the hdparm unmask interrupt thing, I used to use that on
my backend IDE drives (under Gentoo).  I recently upgraded my machines
to the 2.6.28 kernel and switched IDE drivers from the old IDE drivers
to the new libata drivers (the new SATA/PATA drivers).  They don't
support that interrupt unmask at all, and I don't think they plan to.
I believe that was only a factor in very old hardware.  As a matter of
fact they currently don't support 32 bit mode either, though that's
not considered important either.

I can tell you for sure that my backend performance is _noticeably_
better since that kernel upgrade to the new drivers, so I doubt that
interrupt, or anything having to do with serial lirc specifically, is
your problem.

Tom