[mythtv-users] User jobs as regular user?

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 07:37:57 UTC 2009

2009/6/8 Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org>:
> On Sun, 2009-06-07 at 22:08 -0500, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>> I've got a user job that cuts commercials from HD-PVR recordings and
>> automatically stores TV shows in show-specific directories. The
>> problem is my directory tree is not writable by the mythtv user and
>> I'd rather have all my files created by my normal user anyway.
>>
>> So is there a way to automatically run this user job as my regular
>> user?
>
> I wouldn't normally advise this, but...
>
> you could setup a key to your normal account, then have the myth user
> ssh into your account to run the job...

Why not use sudo?
You could add a sudoers line that adds permission for mythtv to run
the user job (and only the user job) as your user without a password.
Make the job script non writable by the mythtv user and it is not
less secure.

Like this:
 mythtv    (ALL) = (cmeredith) NOPASSWD:
/home/cmeredith/bin/mymythjobqueuescript.sh

cheers,
Owen.