[mythtv-users] increasing audio volume when running mytharchive

Dan Christensen jdc at uwo.ca
Sun Jun 7 23:23:19 UTC 2009

Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Dan Christensen wrote:
>
>> I'd like to increase the audio volume of recordings when I burn them to
>> DVD.  Currently, my car DVD player plays them too quietly even when it
>> is set to maximum volume.  Is there a flag I can pass to one of the
>> commands in the pipeline to make this happen?
>
> What's the source material? (rips? DVB/ATSC recordings?)

It's PVR-350 recordings.  The volume truly is low, but at home that
doesn't matter too much since my amp can compensate.  But, on the car
DVD player, at max volume they aren't very loud.

I'm going to try increasing the cable box volume for future recordings,
but for existing recordings I'd like to increase the volume when
burning DVDs.

In another post, I explain a way that I figured out how to do this, but
I'm still interested in solutions that don't involve re-encoding the video.
I guess I could use '-vcodec copy';  would mytharchive still run
mythtranscode to clean up the file ahead of time?  Maybe that's what I
should try next.

> Does your in-car DVD player not have any options to compress the dynamic
> range?

No, it doesn't, but I'm not sure if that would solve the problem.

Dan