[mythtv-users] liveTV/recordings down conversion???

William william_munson at comcast.net
Sun Jun 7 11:55:31 UTC 2009

On 06/06/2009 05:43 PM, Z F wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have the following problem which I thought should have been discussed
> already, but maybe I am using the right keywords for the search.
>
> My situation is that one of my frontends is relatively low power machine
> and can display standard definition resolution.
>
> I am looking for a way to "ask" the backend which supplies the video
> to down convert it from HD content so that it can be displayed on that particular frontend. My understanding is that MythStream can do something like this, but
> I do not understand how to configure MythTV frontend to use this service.
> It seems that it is designed for other purposes. I did not find any switches
> on the frontend configuration to achieve this.
>
> Can someone comment on this?
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> ZF

My suggestion for that underpowered machine is to purchase a nVidia 8400
or higher graphics card and use one of the VDPAU enabled versions of
mythtv. It will play fine with your other systems and will let you play
full HD with only a ~5% cpu load. Myth will automatically downscale the
HD programming to fit your screen resolution so it will have the same
effect as trying to set up mythstream to do the work for you. Its my
understanding that mythstream cpu usage to real-time convert a video
would be fairly high, perhaps higher than your cpu can support.

W.