[mythtv-users] 2 problems, in plain text

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 18:00:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:

> > attempt
> > Mythweb, I get
> > insight
>
> So far people are assuming the the file is indeed zero length but from
> my reading you are saying it's ok on the linux side and only windows
> can't read it. Please clarify.

RingBuf(/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/1002_20090530153237.mpg): Invalid
> file (fd -1) when opening
> '/var/lib/mythtv/recordings/1002_20090530153237.mpg'.
> 2009-05-30 15:32:45.042 NVP, Error: JumpToProgram's OpenFile failed.
> 2009-05-30 15:32:45.042 NVP, Error: Unknown error, exiting decoder

Gives the story, the backend system was unable to open the recording file in
/var/lib/mythtv/recordings.  If live TV can't have it's recording opened, I
would assume the recorder doesn't like it either.  Either way, the system is
failing to stream information to disk or read it back.

If the file actually has data in it, I would assume read permissions are the
problem, if it has no data write permissions are the problem.

Make sure to check the FILE SYSTEM data for how large the file is, NOT the
MythTV system for the filesize.  If windows is reporting the file as 0 byte
(not surprising) I almost guarantee that the Linux filesystem has this at 0
byte as well.

--Doug