[mythtv-users] Mythtv to go? Any guides/suggestions for watching my recordings on a plane?

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 04:29:50 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Somewhat OT but how does myth decide whether to record as *.mpg or
> *.nuv?  I
> > just checked my (nearly all SD) BE and I only found a single *.nuv file
> that
> > was very small.  Is this set in the recording profiles or SD vs HD?
>
> It depends on how things are encoded. I think a while back all mpeg2
> files were stored as .nuv files. Now I think most mpeg2 hardware
> encoders will just give you a normal .mpg file. I think that the
> software encoders will still give you .nuv files and I think that
> mythtranscode will produce .nuv files as well.

This is all correct.  Depending upon your capture card you are recording to
either .nuv or .mpg file extension...where nuv IS an MPEG format, but, I
BELIEVE (though could be wrong here) that the two formats are NOT identical
(i.e. You cannot take a file named .nuv rename it to .mpg and have it play
with a standard MPEG player, again, I COULD be wrong here).

And yes, the transcoder does in fact output .nuv files when run.  THe
--mpeg2 switch to mythtranscode might cause things to be a bit different
however, today when I transcoded a movie I got a .mpg.tmp file instead of a
.nuv file.

--Doug