[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu mythtv-database wants to erase my database.

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 00:01:48 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Mike LaPlante <mike at dividia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Should my schema have changed since this wasn't a major release update
>>> just a fixes version?
>>

>> No.  Schema and protocol will never change in official copies of -fixes.
>>  It's one of the "guarantees" in staying with the stable branch.  Using
>> alternate or unofficial sources of patches or packages may break or alter
>> the schema, however, YMMV.  If these are all from mythbuntu repositories,
>> you are fine.
>>

> Is this actaully true?

Yes.

> Wasn't there a protocol change from 30 to 31 in the .20 fixes branch? There
> was also a fairly major schema change to do with mythmusic, which resulted
> in the upnp media server serving music files from an old table structure
> (and thus never updating)...

I can't find any reference to the schema change you're referring to
(although it might be related to the other protocol bump), that would be
considered verboten under the current approach.  I've been present during
numerous discussions where a change to -fixes was put on hold because it
changed the DB schema-- this is for good reason:  The one time it happened,
you had same-versioned myth machines which were incompatible with one
another.  Even worse, you had .20-fixes machines which were incompatible
with one another!  This is A Bad Thing (tm).  It's considered completely
forbidden now.

Robert