[mythtv-users] Mythtv to go? Any guides/suggestions for watching my recordings on a plane?

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 23:09:21 UTC 2009

> Hi, I have a 0.21 based combined FE/BE but I'm planning to travel soon and
> would like to take some recordings with me.
> I have a windows laptop that I usually travel with and I'm looking for an
> easy way to watch recordings.
> I figure I could:
> a) copy the raw files. but without the mysql DB the files will
> have cryptic names so WAF will be very low.
> b) mytharchive the recordings to dvd "wasting" a bunch of dvds and battery
> life during playback.
> c) install linux on my laptop and then a FE & tunerless BE, then copy the DB
> & recordings?  (this sounds like way too much work!)
> Ideally I'd like to have mpg files with easy names and I feel like this
> should be possible however I don't have any experience with transcoding
> (haven't needed to).
> Is that the way to go?  Any suggestions, pointers to wikis, etc would be
> appreciated.

You want to use mythrename.pl. It will do just what you want. Use the
link option to get links to the original files but with meaningful
names. Then copy the renamed files over to your laptop and it will
grab the right file and it will have a good name. Also a quick way for
just a few recording is to just download them via mythweb. This will
also give you a meaningful name fore the file.