[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Jake jakeisawake at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 21:51:02 UTC 2009

> I'm not sure what would happen if the IP you have assigned to a given MAC is
> the only address available in the pool when a different MAC requests an
> address. Would it refuse to give any address at all, or would it go ahead and
> assign the one that the first MAC was supposed to get, and what would then
> happen when the first machine comes up (assuming an address has been freed
> up, would it then be assigned "incorrectly")?

not sure but i think there is the possibility that it would give the
same address to both machines.  a "fun" experiment to try i guess ;)

i do know that if you have the same fixed address assigned to two
different macs the dhcp server will happily give that address to both.
 a situation where i have this setup in reality is for my laptop:  i
have it given the same fixed address whether i connect with wireless
or ethernet.  this never really poses a problem because i'd only be
using one or the other but i have had both dhcp the same address at
the same time in the past.

> Since I don't like mysteries, I assign any machine that's always on my net a
> real static IP, using DHCP for transient machines like notebooks or guests. I
> can then assign different firewall rules to addresses in the DHCP pool, so
> guests are restricted in what they can access.

this is a pretty standard configuration.  i have a pool of addresses
for guest use and all my machines get fixed addresses outside of that
pool just like you.  pretty sure i've had my network setup like this
since i first setup the dhcp server way back in 1998! :)