[mythtv-users] Incomming WAF Problem: NFS "Crashing" on Jaunty

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 18:29:25 UTC 2009

Ok, so I've got 3 days to figure this one out before my WAF goes to the
tubes.

Been using Myth for a few years now.  A year or two ago I came across
mythbuntu and was pretty impressed so I installed 8.04.  Last week, due to
wanting some better tools, and a successful upgrade of my ubuntu desktop at
work, I decided to upgrade to mythbuntu 9.04 Jaunty.

Did a double network upgrade (8.04 -> 8.10 -> 9.04).  The upgrade got hung
up in the 8.10 ->9.04 side with some symbolic links to NFS shares and didn't
install correctly.  Removing and adding a few packages (basically a readd of
the mythbuntu consolidated package) fixed the issue and has the machine up
and running.

Now, however, i'm facing a rather large issue.  I have all of my video
shares (other than a small 250GB drive in the Myth Box that gets the initial
recording) on NFS Shares shared from my NAS Box.  At this point,it seems
that periodically (at MOST every 24 hours but I'm guessing it's only taking
a few hours) my Myth box looses NFS connectivity, to the point where it
cannot see any of my NFS shares anymore.  At this point the mythfrontend
goes into a "hung up" state when attempting to access the recording or video
section (the stuff on the nas is symbolic linked through NFS to LOOK like
files on the local system.  Yes, I know this is so Myth 0.19 and there's
other ways to do this now).

The root cause seems to be myth being unable to read from NFS.  I can
unmount but not remount the NFS shares.  Restarting NFS-COMMON doesn't seem
to help.

I CANNOT have this box having to be rebooted every few hours to make it
useful.  Anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on?  Rebooting the
myth box brings the NFS shares back with no problems at all.  Last night I
restarted the NAS box and did a remount of everything and all was in good
shape...so it seems I can "fix" it from either end.

I can tell it's not the NAS system, because I have some of the same shares
mounted on other boxes and no other box other than the Myth box has issues
with the shares (i.e. When the myth box can't access them the rest of the
boxes can.)

All of the exports on the NAS use the same export type (pretty basic):

/mnt/video3 192.168.100.0/24(rw,async)

And are being mounted as follows:

nas:/mnt/video3         /mnt/video3             nfs
intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async,nfsvers=3,bg,actimeo=0,tcp

HELP?  Any ideas?  Would dropping a mythbuntu 9.04 DVD in the drive and
doing an "upgrade" (is this possible without blowing away settings?) to
replace all the system packages with what they should be help?  Can I do a
non-destructive "something's broken, fix it" installation?  Any particular
packages I can remove-reinstall to see about fixing this?

Is there a better way to mount these shares or is there a known bug with
NFS?

--Doug