[mythtv-users] VDPAU ?

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:56:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Kevin Bailey
<ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 12:26:02AM -0600, Greg Grotsky wrote:
> >
> > Nvidia 8500GS (PCI) [worked *okay* with lighter deint options, Adv1X
> would
> > stutter badly]
> > - Process node: 65nm
> > - Transistors: 210 million (?)
> > - Core speed: 567MHz
> > - Mem speed: 400MHz
> > - Mem bus width: 64-bit <- I'm thinking this is a problem
> > - Memory bandwidth: 51.2Gbits/s
>
> If you really are using VDPAU, memory bandwidth is not the
> issue. De-compression is done on the card so the most you
> need to upload is around 8Mb/s.
>
> My guess is the 8500's 2 processors. Only the 8400 has fewer (1).
> The 9500 and 8600 have 4.

Crap, that's a typo on my part.  I meant I had bought and will return an
8400GS not 8500GS.  But it sounds like the 9500GT is going to be as good or
better than the 8600 for everything except memory bandwidth.  If memory
bandwidth isn't an issue than the 9500GT should be quite a bit better than
the 8600, isn't that right?

-Greg