[mythtv-users] Auto-Transcoding

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 04:33:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Christian
Tardif<christian.tardif at servinfo.ca> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 8:12 AM, Christian Tardif
> <christian.tardif at servinfo.ca> wrote:
>

> Hi,
>
> I've search about it, but couldn't find a valuable answer to this simple
> question:
>
> Can MythTV do transcoding on the fly for files on a partition, as it is done
> in TVersity or FUPPES?  I have a huge bunch of MP3 files (in fact, my
> complete collection of CD's) on disk, which were played without any problem
> on my Xbox360 (as well as any other uPNP client). Now that my files are
> published with MythTV, no mp3 file can be played on my XBox machine. They
> can be read without any problem on my different XBMC installations, though.
>
> There is so much features on MythTV that I get a little lost in all that
> stuff.
>
> Thanks,
>

> the upnp server in mythtv cannot transcode on the fly.
>
> Fuppes can. If you need that feature, you can install fuppes and turn
> off myth's upnp server.
>
> Fuppes being unmaintained for so long, it doesn't look as a long-term
> option. So I think I'll have to find a way to transcode all my files. Kinda
> sad but...
>
> Thanks anyway.

I am not sure why you would need to transcode your mp3 files.

if you are just having problems serving your mp3 files you could:

1. find another format for serving them (itunes via mt-daapd,
slimserver, simply sharing the directory over samba/nfs)

2. Try twonkymedia server, a commercial but cheap upnp server, or
ushare an opensource upnp  server.