[mythtv-users] VDPAU ?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 01:25:57 UTC 2009

Hi

On 05/06/2009, at 10:18 AM, Tom <listmail at athenet.net> wrote:

> What would VDPAU be?

Look at the mythtv wiki entry.

> Why do I want it?

If you don't hav a fast enough CPU or wants to use the best
deinterlacers available today on Linux.

> Does use of some processors prohibit using VDPAU? E.G. someone said
> an Intel E8500 would cause a problem with VDPAU... true? Why?

That's absolute rubbish. I use a E8500 on my frontend with a 9400 IGP
graphic chipsets with no issue. It's overkill though and only got that
processor before nvidia announced vdpau.

The only issue I'm aware of is with AMD processors, if you slow down
the processor too much with cool'n'quiet , then the databus is slowed
down too much and the video data can't get to the videocard fast enough.

Jy