[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Preston Crow pc-mythtv08a at crowcastle.net
Thu Jun 4 20:08:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 11:50 -0500, Paul wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Troy Goodson <TroysLists at lavabit.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 2009, at 1:57 AM, barbex <barbex at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Advice is what I'm here for :)  I'll drop down to the E7400 2.8 Ghz and get
> > a lower price, too.
>
> You may want to check out the Dual core E6300, i believe the only real
> difference is a smaller L2 cache.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116091

My strategy is figure out which class of process you are going to get.
Right now, the Wolfdale Core 2s are a good choice--the Intel 45nm chips
tend to use very little power when idle, which is very important for an
always-on system.  Given that, you probably want the slowest, cheapest
CPU in that family.

Personally, I was hoping to wait until the Core i5 chips come out (the
mainstream version of the Core i7 chips) in the fall, but my old system
died horribly, so I went with a Wolfdale.