[mythtv-users] first build, $695 - extra eyes, please

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Thu Jun 4 10:54:06 UTC 2009

Alex Butcher schreef op 4-6-2009 11:35:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Troy Goodson wrote:
>
>> I'm looking to build my first rig.  I want HDMI audio/video and I want
>> to be able to play high-bitrate H.264 movies.  I plan on hooking this
>> up to a 42-inch Panasonic Plasma TV.
>
> Right, at some point you're going to want to use VDPAU, then. VDPAU
> requires
> a Geforce 8 series GPU or better.
>
>> I'd really appreciate any extra eyes to give feedback on what I've
>> listed, below, particularly because I've never built a PC before and
>> may have missed something obvious.  I plan on installing MythDora and
>> find out just how easy it is :)
>>
>> Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
>> $80 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128072
>
> This mobo only includes a Geforce 7100. I'd suggest getting a Gigabyte or
> Asus-branded Intel chipset motherboard (the P45 based boards are probably
> good enough if you're never planning on using the rig for gaming) and an
> add-on VGA card (either a Geforce 8 or better, or something cheap for now,
> then upgrade when you need to).

The link is another board than described, the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H is
using a 9400 which in my experience is plenty.

>> Processor:  Intel E8400 Wolfdale  Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz
>> $165 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
>
> Plenty, I suspect, even for HD. My combined SD FE/BE with three physical
> DVB
> tuners (six virtual) was a single core Celeron 1.7GHz for ages. I only
> upgraded to a £30 P4 2.53GHz from eBay to make DVD archiving run quicker.

Agreed, using a 7300 here, but users with a 5200 also report succes with
1080p. Not much high bitrate here from broadcasters though and Blu-ray
right now is to problematic for me to think about.

>> Cooler:  SilverStone NT07-775
>> $27 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220034
>
> The boxed Intel CPUs come with a heatsink and fan. It'll probably be quiet
> enough and certainly adequate as long as you're not planning on
> overclocking. Leave this until later, if the stock cooler annoys you.
>
>> Memory:  2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400 - CT25664AA800
>> $27 http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=525435EDA5CA7304
>
> Can't really go wrong with Crucial. Double check that it's on your mobo's
> Compatibility/Qualified Vendor List.

Yup, and 2GB should be plenty(here I see with 2 GB a reserved cache of
around 1 GB and mem-usage below 800 MB)

>> Capture: PCHDTV HD-5500 x2 (dual tuners)
>> $227  http://www.pchdtv.com/hd_5500.html
>
> I'm in the UK, so no comment.
>
>> Drive: Hitachi 1TB Serial-ATA Hard Drive
>> $70
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10009440&prodlist=cj
>>

> I'd probably opt for a Western Digital right now, but everyone has their
> preferences. Probably more important is to make sure that it's shipped to
> you in decent packaging. I gather some US-based box shifters are appalling
> in this regard.

Using samsungs myself, but depends pretty much on preference.

Have fun building :)

Jos Hoekstra