[mythtv-users] Video Editing HELP! (COMPLETE noobie)

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 23:07:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:43 PM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
> The intended order of doing things:
> A. record mpeg2 files
> B. marke your commercials
> C. mythtranscode cuts MPEG2 files, is does NOT AFAIK if first transcoded to
> MPEG4 or whatever.
> D. then transcode to mpeg4 to save more space.

Minor clarification, in case anyone cares.  For PVR-150 recordings, I
had to do the following workflow:
A. record mpeg2 from PVR-150
B. mark commercials
C. mythtranscode to mpeg4
D. cut commercials ("perfect" transcode) to new mpeg4

The reason is that for PVR-150 mpeg2 files, mythtranscode doesn't
properly cut closed captions, so you're left with the original caption
timings in the new cut program.  Mythtranscode does work properly with
respect to captions if you start with an mpeg4-transcoded program, or
with an HDHR mpeg2 recording.  As far as I know, the seektables are
just fine in the mpeg4 programs.

Jim