[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Wed Jun 3 15:35:24 UTC 2009

>> Update....  a very interesting result.  I looked at /proc/cpuinfo and
>> it reported my CPU as 1GHz (should be 2.6GHz).  I did some searching
>> around and installed the cpufrequtils ubuntu package.  cpufreq-info
>> also reported 1GHz even while playing the h264 file.  I played around
>> with the different governors and only performance put the reported cpu
>> freq up to 2.6GHz.
>>
>> Bottom line is with the CPU at 2.6GHz the clip played fine with
>> perfect audio sync and 35%-40% cpu load.
>>
>> I have a mostly stock mythubuntu 9.04 system.  Not sure why default it
>> clocks the CPU so low.?
>
> Because if you're not using it, it's fine to be slow as it uses less energy
> and generates less heat (and thus less fan noise).
>
> VDPAU has caused a funny and new issue:  You need bus and memory bandwidth,
> but not cpu power.  The governors do not have any way to detect this, so
> they simply see "5% cpu? No need to clock up!".

It seems cpu freq selection should be done by myth (or the video
player)?  Any good solutions other than manually setting the cpu freq
(what I'm doing now)?  I still want it to clock down to 1G when idle
but actually go up when needed.  Maybe tied to the screen saver (or
dpms)?  When the screen blanks the cpu clocks down, if the screen is
on it clocks up.  How do I hook a little bash script into these system
events?