[mythtv-users] Video Editing HELP! (COMPLETE noobie)

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 21:27:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > For the MythTranscode line above -c and -s are taking a chanid and a
> > starttime are they not?  This video is outside of MythTV, there is no
> > database information for it, thus there is no starttime or chanid
> associated
> > with the recording.  It was originally recorded through Myth but was
> > transcoded and exported (without removing commercials) a long time ago.
> The
> > original video works (sound/video) but, obviously, there's still
> commercials
> > in it that I'd like to get rid of.  Thus the external editor.
>
> The mythtranscode command is to rebuild the seek table. Mythtv uses a
> seek table to accurately skip forward and back. The seek problems your
> described are most like caused by the seek table being messed up or
> not rebuilt when you transcoded to remove the commercials. This
> command will rebuild the seek table and should allow you to
> fast-forward and rewind correctly. As far as the old transcoded videos
> with commercials that you are editing outside of mythtv, that is a
> separate set of issues.

Yea, unfortunately it's that "separate set of issues" that are causing me
problems.  The recordings inside myth I am at least minimally comfortable
with, the problems I run into there is after following the transcode steps
they tend to get corrupted (the seek table gets destroyed)...but I haven't
tried with the transcode line noted above so that might work.

What I'm MUCH more worried about right now is to find a generic, easy to use
tool I can use to correct problems with a video after it's been transcoded
and brought "outside" of mythtv, such as the videos I have with commercials
in them, without a seek table, that no longer have mythtv database data for
them.  Again, I am able to cut commercials but it seems to ruin the video
(loss of sound, speeding up or slowing down of the video, etc.).

As to the seek table issue with these videos I read something about in
essence creating a recording, copying the video over the top of the
recording (so there's database information on channel and starttime) and
then using the transcoder to fix the seek table.  I'm not beyond trying
that, but I suspect that doing this would still not allow me to create cut
points in Myth video editing to do the process inside myth...maybe it would.

Perhaps I'm asking the wrong question.  Perhaps the question I should be
asking is: Is there any way to bring these external videos back into myth's
database so that they would be again editable through the Myth System?

Myth's tools seem to work, external tools don't.

--Douglas Wagner