[mythtv-users] Quick opinions

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:18:48 UTC 2009

2009/6/2 Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>:
[snip]

> At some point I decided I wanted faster commflagging so I got a 95W
> quad-core 9600 processor.  Things were indeed faster, but with the
> stock cooler it sounded like a vacuum cleaner and the WAF dropped off
> a lot.  I switched back to the 4450e and then enabled mythjobqueue on
> the FE machines and everything was great.
>
> So the bottom line is that any of your hardware options will almost
> certainly be more than enough for your needs.

Hey,
My setup is similar, but ati so no vdpau.
I have a x2 4850e in a combined fe/be and it is running fine.
It is not used for much real-time tv though so in that respect the
slower cpu is not a drawback.

On the Phenom 9600, I too switched from it to the 4850e at some
point for the same reasons but in the end I moved it to my desktop
and only occassionally do transcoding on it (when time is of the
essence). A huge boon was getting a passive tower cpu cooler.[0]
Even on the Phenom it holds up with only (decent) case ventilation.

cheers,
Owen.

[0] I chose a Thermalright HR-01+ but any of the same type
of design should work. silentpcreview.com has good pointers.