[mythtv-users] How to get 5.1 dts spdif out from ac3 sources?

Harry Coin hcoin at quietfountain.com
Mon Jun 1 19:48:55 UTC 2009

Cancel the help request--

Turns out if I put ALSA:hw:0,4 (ICH5 audio) in both the general
passthrough audio choices, then set the output channel count to
'stereo', then enable both ac3 and dts passthrough direct, it all
works-- all sound gets sent out the iec958 digital port.   If I use the
IEC958 AES 02 option for 'passthrough' and turn on 'send direct' for
ac-3, the stereo emits digital hash noise.

My second mistake was setting the 'maximum channels' to 5.1.   The
correct choice for multichannel digital output is 'stereo'.  Why that is
correct when I actually want and have 5.1 output is confusing.

Setting 5.1 will mute the audio on both 2 and 5.1 channel sources from
the digital port.  So 'stereo' is the correct choice for me to get any
audio out the ICH / SPdif port.

Harry