[mythtv-users] NFS server not responding, but it is...

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Jun 1 12:07:21 UTC 2009

Ben Lancaster wrote:
> Hey,
>
> First, quick explanation of my setup, Combined FE and Master BE in the
> living room (let's call him "Downstairs"),  Slave BE and NAS in the
> loft (let's call him "Upstairs"). Downstairs has the tuners and
> records on to an NFS mount, exported by Upstairs and formatted as XFS.
>
> For some reason, Downstairs loses the NFS Connection to Upstairs from
> time to time, which causes the backend to go down. Downstairs can
> still ping Upstairs, The log files are full of "nfs: server Upstairs
> not responding, timed out", but Upstairs' log files are clean (and I
> can mount the same export on other machines via the same bit of
> network without a problem). Running "rpcinfo -p" on both machines
> shows all the necessary services are running fine (portmapper, status,
> nlockmgr, nfs, mountd)
>
> Here's Downstairs' fstab entry:
>
> Upstairs:/video     /video          nfs
> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async,nfsvers=3,tcp          0       0
>
> ...and here's Upstairs' exports file:
>
> /video                  *(rw,insecure,async,no_root_squash)
>
> I used to have a few extra mount options in Downstairs' fstab but have
> been taking them out to see if that fixes the problems, namely "intr"
> and "actimeo=0" and "soft"
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Might you be running on Mythbuntu 8.10? I had the exact same errors when
I was running Mythbuntu 8.10 and using NFS for my recordings. I added a
SBE on the computer that had the NFS mounts and now it records locally.
I had the same problem with my video files shared out over NFS. I have
now switched them to CIFS and have not experienced a problem since. CIFS
might be worth considering.

Cheers,
James