[mythtv-users] HD-PVR resolution detection

Brad DerManouelian bderman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:04:19 UTC 2009

On Jul 31, 2009, at 12:01 PM, DISAFAN wrote:

> I've been trying to change my method of output to the mythnuv2mkv
> script, and I discovered a problem. After some searching, I traced
> the problem to the container of the H264 files output by the HD-PVR
> recordings.
>
> The mplayer command is used to detect width and height. However in
> all files the ID_VIDEO_HEIGHT/WIDTH parameter is set to 0. So all
> the detection fails.
>
> So the question is two-fold. Does anyone have any suggestions for a
> script to aid me in detecting and setting these parameters? Then I
> could batch convert the directory to include them. It seems
> ultimately easier than trying to change the method of detection on a
> multitude of scripts that use Mplayer.
>
> The second question is...since no one else has reported this
> problem, why is this being set to 0 instead of the resolution? What
> is responsible for setting the resolution, the HD-PVR firmware or
> the MythTV recorder? If it is the latter, is this something I should
> submit as a bug?
>
> My contribution to the bug process has never been particularly useful.

I ran into this problem as well and I worked around it by hard-coding
the size in my script since I have my STB's outputting a single
resolution so I know they are always going to be 720p files. I know
it's not much help, but maybe some comfort that it's a problem.

I ran into this with the first version of the HDPVR firmware. I never
bothered checking after that since I'm still outputting only 720p files.

-Brad