[mythtv-users] I want Mythtv to change my dish pvr channels.

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jul 29 14:30:17 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 08:17:48 Rodney D. Myers wrote:
> Now that I have my MythTV working reliably, I want to be able to set
> it, to control my older DISH PVR501.
>
> So when if I want to record "all new" episodes of any series, the
> mythtv box will change the channels.
>
> I know the dish receiver does not have firewire or network connection.
>
> What are my options out there.

The *only* option for controlling a DISH receiver is via IR, using an IR
blaster of some type.

I use a MyBlaster to control my DISH VIP722 and it works quite well, but the
MyBlasters are no longer sold, at least new.

But the LIRC-based blasters are a reasonable option today, in fact pretty much
the only option, with the possible exception of buying a used MyBlaster.

Some DirectTV receivers can be controled by direct serial link, but IR is the
only option for DISH.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org