[mythtv-users] Discussion: system layouts to reduce power consumption

Brad DerManouelian bderman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 01:12:35 UTC 2009

On Jul 27, 2009, at 5:58 PM, glenhawk at optusnet.com.au wrote:

> I am very conscious of power consumption and want to try and reduce
> it wherever possible. I already believe that using MythTV saves
> power in a way because it reduces the overall time that your AV gear
> is switched on. My concerns are now that in a house where you want
> access to MythTV on most if not all of your TVs how do you balance
> power consumption with functionality?

It greatly depends on usage (how often you record, how often you have
recording conflicts resolved by multiple backends, etc.) Based on the
fact that I always want access to mythweb, I run it on a separate
webserver that I happen to have running for other domains, so it makes
sense for me to keep all the web serving on that one machine. My
master backend stays on all the time and contains all my tuners and
all the storage for mythtv. It's on all the time because I record
enough where it would probably only shut off a couple of times a day
for a short time. The wear and tear on constantly shutting down and
starting up makes it much less desirable. I do have a separate
frontend since it's on much less time than the number of programs I
record.

My point is that sometimes simpler is better. This has been working
for me for quite some time and I believe is the best consumption to
performance ratio for my needs.

-Brad